Outdoor air pollution gets plenty of attention, but what about indoor air? Many homeowners are surprised to learn that indoor air quality can be up to 25 times worse than outdoor air. Considering that you probably spend 90% or more of your time inside, you undoubtedly want to keep the air in your home as pollution-free as possible. You have a few options for improving indoor air quality, including using an air filtration system to trap and remove microscopic airborne particles.
Consider the importance of air filtration and the best types of filters available. Then, call AC by J at (602) 266-3678 or contact us online to learn more about upgrading your home’s filter.
Benefits of Air Filtration Systems
At its core, an HVAC filter is intended to protect delicate heating and cooling equipment from large dust particles and textile fibers. However, it does very little to improve indoor air quality. Upgrading to a better filter, or even a dedicated air purification system, actively cleans the air in your home. Here’s how this can benefit you:
- Protect your family’s health: Poor indoor air quality can be detrimental to your health. Children, older adults, and those with respiratory problems or compromised immune systems are particularly vulnerable. By filtering your indoor air, you can avoid symptoms such as dizziness, breathing problems, sinus infections, and more.
- Remove odors: Filters with activated carbon remove airborne odors, preventing last night’s fish dinner from lingering in the air.
- Maintain a cleaner home: By trapping dust, dust mites, dirt, pet dander, mold spores, and pollen, you stop these particles from settling on your carpet, furniture, and decor. The result is a cleaner home with less effort on your part.
What Type of Air Filtration System Should I Use?
The key to better filtration is a higher minimum efficiency reporting value (MERV) rating. The MERV scale ranges from 1 to 20 and helps you select the right filter for your needs.
Standard one-inch filters have a MERV rating of 4 or less, which doesn’t do anything for indoor air quality. What you need is something in the range of MERV 5 to 12, such as these options from AC by J:
- 4” box filter: This is up to 85% more efficient at capturing airborne particles than a standard one-inch filter. It also lasts six to 12 months before needing to be replaced.
- Space-Gard filter: This high-efficiency option is among the most popular on the market. If you’re concerned about bacteria and germs, filtering your home’s air through a Space-Gard filter will give you peace of mind. Plus, it lasts up to one year before needing a replacement.
Another option is to install a high-efficiency particulate arrestance (HEPA) filter with a MERV rating of 16 to 20. These filters provide superior air filtration capabilities for people with respiratory problems, but they may restrict airflow through your HVAC system. Therefore, you’ll need a professional to install and adjust the blower fan for the best results.
In addition to filtering the air, you can also purify it by killing bacteria and viruses that may slip through the media filter. Air purifiers are available as portable single-room units and in-duct systems to clean the air in your entire home. AC by J installs the activTek Air Scrubber 2000 to greatly improve indoor air quality.
Schedule Indoor Air Quality Services in Phoenix
If you’re ready to improve your indoor air quality, turn to the experts at AC by J for help. We’re dedicated to offering top-quality products and professional services at an affordable price. We have served the Phoenix area since 1983, and we guarantee your 100% satisfaction with our products and services.
To learn more about how our air filtration solutions can improve the quality of the air you breathe, please contact us online or call (602) 266-3678 today.