With the hot temperatures here to stay this summer in Phoenix, Air Conditioning by Jay has eight important AC maintenance tips to help keep any system running smoothly and prevent air conditioning service calls. Keeping on top of all the steps below will aid in insuring that any air conditioning system is functioning at peak performance, help prevent breakdowns and save money on the energy bill.
Scottsdale, AZ, July 12, 2016 – (PressReleasePoint) – It’s peak cooling season in the air conditioning business in Arizona. Air conditioning companies are being deluged with calls from customers with broken A/C units. With the hot temperatures here to stay this summer in Phoenix, Air Conditioning by Jay has some important tips to keep your system running smoothly and help prevent breakdowns
- Check your air conditioning filters. This is the simplest and often most important step. Dusty filters restrict the system similar to struggling to breathe with a cold or flu. This slows the airflow, increasing the chance for failure.
- Maintain your AC system. A regular air conditioning tune up helps keep your system running at peak efficiency and will prolong the life of the equipment. A dirty unit reduces the system’s ability to cool your home, increasing energy costs and affecting the life of the equipment. During a regular tune up, your AC company can identify potential issues with smaller “support” parts that if addressed early will be less costly to replace than the larger components that they protect.
- Close blinds and drapes to keep out direct sun. An easy step that helps block out summer sunlight, making your home cooler. Another possible solution to look into is exterior mount solar sun screens for your windows aka: sunscreens. Arizona power companies recognize that windows are the number-one source of heat gain in the summer, responsible for as much as 49% of the cooling costs of your home. Effective sunscreens help prevent window heat gain by shading the sun before it heats up the glass.
- Circulate the air with fans. While a fan won’t change the temperature inside, the moving air helps you feel cooler so the thermostat can be set higher.
- Watch your appliances. Cut down on the use of heat-producing appliances (oven, dishwasher and dryer) during the day’s peak heat. Buying Energy Star or similarly efficient appliances helps as well.
- Put in a programmable thermostat to raise the temperature set point a few degrees while you’re away. This reduces the load on your system
- Check outside and clear the units of debris such as leaves and paper. Remove any leaves and debris out of the base of the condenser and make sure the drain is clear (if it has one).
- In your attic, repair leaky air conditioning ductwork and add insulation to prevent cool air inside your home from escaping.
Usually, air conditioning units do not instantly stop working. Almost always, breakdowns occur over time and produce signs such as: weak air flow, longer run times, strange sounds and more. Remember there are no air conditioning alternatives in Arizona. We must have it. Keeping on top of the eight air conditioning basics above will insure that you are doing all that you can to keep you’re A/C system functioning at peak performance to help prevent breakdowns and save you money on your energy bill.
See the entire press release here.